Girls (5th-8th) Format/Rules
- This event is open to girls in Grades 5-8 (i.e., Graduation Years 2022-2025).
- Township programs, clubs, coaches and parent promoters are encouraged to sign-up as many teams as interest permits. (“A” and “B” brackets will be available subject to level of interest).
- The event is also open to individuals who are not on a team but would like to experience the increasingly popular 5v5 format as members of “house teams” coached by members of the Conestoga girls’ varsity lacrosse team and/or volunteer coaches.
- Games are ten (10) minutes; five (5) minutes between games. Teams on deck – be ready to take the field promptly.
- No overtime, except in playoffs games, if applicable (see overtime format below).
- Central horn will indicate start and the stop time.
- Each game starts with rock/paper/scissors to determine initial possession.
- Each team will play with four (4) field players and a goalie.
- Substitutions are permitted on the fly from the substitution area.The player exiting the field must be off the field entirely before her teammate can enter the field.
- The field is “half –court;” each team must clear the ball to the Reset Line on change of possession. Doing so will give goalies sufficient time to “switch.”
- Goal Scored — free clear when a goal is scored; the ball will be given to team that was just playing defense and was scored upon (i.e., alternate possession).
- Goalie Save – not a free clear, the team that was on offense may contest the clear. The defensive team must make a pass inside the playing area (the outlet pass counts) and either run it or pass it behind the Reset Line to clear the ball. Once the ball has been successfully “cleared,” the team with the ball may assume playing offense.
- Goalies defend the goal when their team is on defense; they switch when their team clears the ball. Goalies wait a safe distance behind the net; no goalie reentry.
- One Pass Rule: When on offense, a team must complete one (1) pass before going to goal (i.e., one pass to get the ball “hot”). A pass behind the Reset Line does not count toward satisfying the one (1) pass rule. One Pass Rule when defending a clear after taking a shot or turning the ball over if th ball was already “hot.”
- Officials will do their best to enforce hard boundaries.
- No stalling except in the last minute of the game (in the official’s discretion), officials will first provide warning to stalling team and may award possession to other team if the stalling continues.
- Modified checking is permitted (stick must be below the shoulder) – Grades 5-8
- Full checking is permitted for 9th Grade teams.
- All rules will be followed & enforced (i.e. charging, blocking, illegal check, etc.)
- No 8 meter free shots, all fouls will be indirect. Player with the ball will be given 4 meters.
- Girls must cover their mark; 3 second rule applied in the judgment of officials after warning.
- If a player receives a yellow card, she must sit out for two (2) minutes; a sub can come in, teams do not have to play short-handed.
- No more than two coaches are permitted on the field. All other parents and fans must stay outside of the fenced area surrounding the turf field.
- Players and coaches must display good sportsmanship toward each other and the officials.
- Players must wear mouth guards and goggles at all times.
- Overtime in playoff – if applicable: the official will set up a throw at the top by the Reset Line; 2v2 Brave-Heart format, one (1) pass rule applies.
- Scoring: officials will keep score and call out the score after each goal. Scores should be reported to the HQ tent.
- Point System:
- Win – 3 points
- Tie – 1 point
- Loss – 0 points
- Tiebreakers are 1) head to head record, 2) goals against, 3) goals scored.
- Honor the Game and Have Fun!!
What to Bring: Goggles, mouth guard, stick, turfs/cleats, goalie equipment, water bottle, team pinnie (or other reversible pinnie), a great attitude and a desire to learn a few tips and have fun playing lacrosse in a new and exciting format, one that fosters fast-paced action and promises numerous developmental benefits.